- General News 2011
- Friday, 11 November 2011 15:16
- Published Date
- Hits: 3033
The Communal Farmers Consortium (CFC) says it has learnt with excitement that the Otjozondjupa-Omaheke Inter-Regional Agriculture Show that was held over the past weekend was a success. One of the major highlights was the increase in the number of young people who exhibited their own livestock and talent.
This yearâ€™s Otjozondjupa-Omaheke Inter-Regional Agriculture Show brought together more livestock and business from young people compared to last yearâ€™s event.
One such young person among many who exhibited their livestock at Okondjatu in the Otjozondjupa is Mbaroro Katjiuanyo from the Aminius area in the Omaheke region.
The chairperson of the Communal Farmers Consortium,Goliath Tuyendapi said in some other regions were similar events where held, young people were nowhere to be seen and it is evident that the older people are still carrying the burden of feeding the nation through agriculture.
â€śIt is the opinion of the CFC that the youth should be encouraged to enter the agriculture industry to ensure that good and proven traditional farming practices does not disappear but is transferred to the youth who should take over agriculture projects in the future.â€ť
The Communal Farmers Consortium believes that young people are needed to inject new energy and ideas to solve modern problems hampering agriculture in Namibia.
â€śThe CFC believes that it is wise to start farming while young when you still have the energy needed to do hard work. It is also the view of the CFC that some of the most successful and wealthy people in Namibia have at some point made a living from farming or became who they are though agriculture,â€ť Tuyendapi said.
The Communal Farmers Consortium is a group of private and public agencies that pool finances each year to support the staging of agriculture shows in all 13 regions. The Otjozondjupa-Omaheke Inter-Regional Agriculture Show received about N$200,000 to cover expenses and prizes for winners. The Consortium consists of Agra, Feed Master, Agri Bank, First National Bank, Namibia Breweries Limited, Telecom, Meat Board, Meatco and the Namibia National Farmers Union.
- Articles In This Category
- General News 2011A UK based fund with over US$100 million says it is looking for investment opportunities in the country in the fields of mining, construction, power...Investment scheme a major hit (2154 hits)General News 2011The Namibian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (NCCI) is receiving an overwhelmingly good response from small and medium enterprises (SMEs) for the...City accused of manipulating land market (1757 hits)General News 2011A decision by the City of Windhoek to avail only 234 ervens at the recently held property auction in which the City is said to have made N$141...Civil society must become more active (1842 hits)General News 2011Civil society organisations operating in the education sector have been challenged to exercise a mind shift in the way they conduct their business....First IPM conference a success (1914 hits)General News 2011President of the Institute for People Management (IPM) in Namibia, Tim Ekandjo has described the recently held IPM Convention as a huge success. The...General News 2011On 3 November local Business School of Excellence hosted an open day for the MBA Programme presented by the University of London (UoL) International...N$12 billion Husab project gets mining licence (2071 hits)General News 2011Extract Resources has been awarded a mining licence for the US$12 billion Husab project that will enable the project to move into its production...Shell educates public on road safety (2356 hits)General News 2011Shell Namibia will host road safety interventions in the form of conducting public education to motorists and their passengers as well as an...Domestic workers demand increase in wages (2534 hits)General News 2011A campaign which calls for an increase in the wages of domestic workers and an overall improvement in their working conditions, is in full swing. The...DBN to build on 2011 successes (1688 hits)General News 2011The implementation of the Development Bank of Namibiaâ€™s strategy in respect of its balance sheet growth and the growth of its loan book and...
- Related Articles
- Katutura youth opens tour company (2201 hits)General News 2011The Young Achievers Empowerment project, a youth organisation in Katutura, is slowly turning away from being a donor funded organisation to a...RDP Youth League separates lies from truth (1800 hits)Speak your mindDear sir, The Rally for Democracy and Progress Youth League (RDPYL) feels very provoked and indeed insulted to have its leader, Hidipo Hamutenya...Youth enlightened on social media (2004 hits)Community and CultureThe Namibia Business Innovation Center (NBIC), together with Rlabs Academy, is hosting its first session of three workshops aimed at training young...Dance champion empowers youth (1144 hits)Community and CultureAfrican Dance Champion Stanley Mareka has been chosen as the March winner of the Windhoek Lager Ambassador initiative. Stanley is Namibiaâ€™s own...SKW youth tournament gets bigger (4787 hits)SportA record 60 teams and 1000 players will be in action this weekend at the annual SKW Youth Tournament sponsored by the Retirement Fund Solution. A...
- Latest Articles
- Ondangwa Airport runway under rehab (51 hits)HeadlinesThe Namibia Airports Company earlier this week said that the ageing Ondangwa airport runway will undergo rehabilitation.The runway will be extended...Youthful Warriors advance at Youth Games (105 hits)SportThe young warriors on Wednesday marched into the semifinals of the African Union Sports Commission (AUSC) Region 5 Youth Games Menâ€™s Competition...Volley ladies progress to next round (108 hits)SportThree Countries took part in the sub-zonal Olympic Qualifier of the Continental Cup last weekend. Teams from Angola, Zimbabwe and Namibia played at...Junior cricketers get boost (110 hits)SportSponsorship towards the Namibian U19 Cricket Team got a timely boost when Old Mutual Namibia handed over cricket apparel to the value of N$20,000 to...Karate kids receive awards (110 hits)SportChief Instructor of Shotokan Karate Academy, Sensei Willem Burger (6th Dan) and Sensei Morchen Kruger, instructor of the Khomasdal Shotokan...