- General News 2011
- Friday, 11 November 2011 15:16
- Published Date
- Hits: 3106
The Communal Farmers Consortium (CFC) says it has learnt with excitement that the Otjozondjupa-Omaheke Inter-Regional Agriculture Show that was held over the past weekend was a success. One of the major highlights was the increase in the number of young people who exhibited their own livestock and talent.
This year’s Otjozondjupa-Omaheke Inter-Regional Agriculture Show brought together more livestock and business from young people compared to last year’s event.
One such young person among many who exhibited their livestock at Okondjatu in the Otjozondjupa is Mbaroro Katjiuanyo from the Aminius area in the Omaheke region.
The chairperson of the Communal Farmers Consortium,Goliath Tuyendapi said in some other regions were similar events where held, young people were nowhere to be seen and it is evident that the older people are still carrying the burden of feeding the nation through agriculture.
“It is the opinion of the CFC that the youth should be encouraged to enter the agriculture industry to ensure that good and proven traditional farming practices does not disappear but is transferred to the youth who should take over agriculture projects in the future.”
The Communal Farmers Consortium believes that young people are needed to inject new energy and ideas to solve modern problems hampering agriculture in Namibia.
“The CFC believes that it is wise to start farming while young when you still have the energy needed to do hard work. It is also the view of the CFC that some of the most successful and wealthy people in Namibia have at some point made a living from farming or became who they are though agriculture,” Tuyendapi said.
The Communal Farmers Consortium is a group of private and public agencies that pool finances each year to support the staging of agriculture shows in all 13 regions. The Otjozondjupa-Omaheke Inter-Regional Agriculture Show received about N$200,000 to cover expenses and prizes for winners. The Consortium consists of Agra, Feed Master, Agri Bank, First National Bank, Namibia Breweries Limited, Telecom, Meat Board, Meatco and the Namibia National Farmers Union.
- Articles In This Category
- Construction of SME business centre on hold (1512 hits)General News 2011The construction and development of the Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs) business centre in Luderitz has been put on hold and construction will only...Road accidents claim more lives (2640 hits)General News 2011Statistics released by the Motor Vehicle Accident Fund (MVA Fund) showed that 16 people have died on Namibian roads in the past 14 days, while 279...Successful season for Agra (1646 hits)General News 2011Agra has concluded a very successful weaner auction season with the announcement of national and regional weaner calf champions. Standard Bank...Serviced land for Swakop residents (1925 hits)General News 2011A total of 120 erven has been serviced at extension nine in Vinetta and was launched in Swakopmund this week. The development, which is set to...Standard Bank opens loan solution centre (2424 hits)General News 2011Standard Bank Namibia opened its first loan solution centre, on 1 December 2011. Situated in Town Square on the Upper Retail floor, the center offers...FNB ready for disaster (1849 hits)General News 2011FNB Namibia conducted its annual live disaster recovery test over the past weekend which was aimed at running the Mainframe of a full business day...Budget for land reform little (1360 hits)General News 2011The recently held four-day workshop on land reform and resettlement has called for an increase in the budget allocation to the Ministry of Lands and...Nature lovers welcome in Walvis (1875 hits)General News 2011Potential investors, tourists, adventure seekers and holiday-makers are all welcome to indulge in dolphin cruises, angling, wind surfing, quad biking...Thieme entrepreneur of the year (1828 hits)General News 2011Sven Thieme, executive chairman of the Ohlthaver & List Group, was selected as the Hospitality Association of Namibia’s (HAN) entrepreneur of...Value of building plans increase in November (2230 hits)General News 2011According to latest statistics from the City of Windhoek, the number and value of building plans approved during November increased compared to the...
- Related Articles
- Katutura youth opens tour company (2242 hits)General News 2011The Young Achievers Empowerment project, a youth organisation in Katutura, is slowly turning away from being a donor funded organisation to a...RDP Youth League separates lies from truth (1842 hits)Speak your mindDear sir, The Rally for Democracy and Progress Youth League (RDPYL) feels very provoked and indeed insulted to have its leader, Hidipo Hamutenya...Youth enlightened on social media (2040 hits)Community and CultureThe Namibia Business Innovation Center (NBIC), together with Rlabs Academy, is hosting its first session of three workshops aimed at training young...Dance champion empowers youth (1184 hits)Community and CultureAfrican Dance Champion Stanley Mareka has been chosen as the March winner of the Windhoek Lager Ambassador initiative. Stanley is Namibia’s own...SKW youth tournament gets bigger (4925 hits)SportA record 60 teams and 1000 players will be in action this weekend at the annual SKW Youth Tournament sponsored by the Retirement Fund Solution. A...
- Latest Articles
- HeadlinesAt the dawn of Independence in 1990, the Peace Corps Volunteer relationship between Namibia and the United States started. More than 1500 volunteers...Impending doom for Witvlei (44 hits)HeadlinesWitvlei Meat Managing Director Sydney Martin said this week that the government has not kept its promise of allocating a sufficient quota to its...Paladin’s revenue spikes 79% (60 hits)HeadlinesA downturn in the spot price of uranium has not deterred production at Paladin Energy’s Langer Heinrich operation. Langer Heinrich produced 27%...Weather 23 January 2015 (34 hits)WeatherWhat Happened With the Kaiser’s birthday on Tuesday, folklore has it the rain season only starts now. There may be more truth in this...Editors DeskThroughout this year, the verdict on the Eurozone cardhouse will remain in the balance. If the European Central Bank’s copycat experiment work,...