- General News 2011
- Friday, 11 November 2011 15:16
- Published Date
- Hits: 3262
The Communal Farmers Consortium (CFC) says it has learnt with excitement that the Otjozondjupa-Omaheke Inter-Regional Agriculture Show that was held over the past weekend was a success. One of the major highlights was the increase in the number of young people who exhibited their own livestock and talent.
This year’s Otjozondjupa-Omaheke Inter-Regional Agriculture Show brought together more livestock and business from young people compared to last year’s event.
One such young person among many who exhibited their livestock at Okondjatu in the Otjozondjupa is Mbaroro Katjiuanyo from the Aminius area in the Omaheke region.
The chairperson of the Communal Farmers Consortium,Goliath Tuyendapi said in some other regions were similar events where held, young people were nowhere to be seen and it is evident that the older people are still carrying the burden of feeding the nation through agriculture.
“It is the opinion of the CFC that the youth should be encouraged to enter the agriculture industry to ensure that good and proven traditional farming practices does not disappear but is transferred to the youth who should take over agriculture projects in the future.”
The Communal Farmers Consortium believes that young people are needed to inject new energy and ideas to solve modern problems hampering agriculture in Namibia.
“The CFC believes that it is wise to start farming while young when you still have the energy needed to do hard work. It is also the view of the CFC that some of the most successful and wealthy people in Namibia have at some point made a living from farming or became who they are though agriculture,” Tuyendapi said.
The Communal Farmers Consortium is a group of private and public agencies that pool finances each year to support the staging of agriculture shows in all 13 regions. The Otjozondjupa-Omaheke Inter-Regional Agriculture Show received about N$200,000 to cover expenses and prizes for winners. The Consortium consists of Agra, Feed Master, Agri Bank, First National Bank, Namibia Breweries Limited, Telecom, Meat Board, Meatco and the Namibia National Farmers Union.
- Articles In This Category
- Lawyers elect new council (1557 hits)General News 2011The Law Society of Namibia this week announced its new council, elected a week ago at the statutory body’s 2011 annual general meeting. Re-elected...U.S. tackles Aids (1624 hits)General News 2011The U.S. Embassy has lined up two activities to commemorate World AIDS Day this year. On 30 November, Spoken Word will join the U.S. Embassy for an...Caprivians want autonomy (1750 hits)General News 2011Namibian refugees residing in Botswana have demanded that an independent body must prove whether or not Caprivians want to be part of Namibia and...Think tank joins unemployment debate (2577 hits)General News 2011The Institute of Public Policy Research (IPPR) has joined those criticising the results or methodologies used in the controversial 2008 Labour Force...Skills needed to fight climate change (1594 hits)General News 2011The solutions for mitigating the impact of climate change focuses on restricting emissions of greenhouse gases and supplying governments of poor...FNB ready for disaster (1937 hits)General News 2011FNB Namibia conducted its annual live disaster recovery test over the past weekend which was aimed at running the Mainframe of a full business day...Old Mutual awards bursaries (2173 hits)General News 2011Old Mutual this week awarded bursaries to students pursuing their studies in the fields of medicine, accounting, actuarial studies, information and...Finland supports transport sector (1736 hits)General News 2011The Walvis Bay Corridor Group (WBCG) and the Embassy of Finland recently signed a N$889 600 funding agreement, which is aimed at developing the...Take responsibility for road safety (2070 hits)General News 2011The Swakopmund Traffic Department has committed itself to ensuring that business is conducted amidst normal traffic flow and within the parameters of...Digital network to enhance learning (1303 hits)General News 2011The University of Namibia (UNAM) this week launched a video conference facility which will link different campuses into a single video conference...
- Related Articles
- Katutura youth opens tour company (2321 hits)General News 2011The Young Achievers Empowerment project, a youth organisation in Katutura, is slowly turning away from being a donor funded organisation to a...RDP Youth League separates lies from truth (1930 hits)Speak your mindDear sir, The Rally for Democracy and Progress Youth League (RDPYL) feels very provoked and indeed insulted to have its leader, Hidipo Hamutenya...Youth enlightened on social media (2117 hits)Community and CultureThe Namibia Business Innovation Center (NBIC), together with Rlabs Academy, is hosting its first session of three workshops aimed at training young...Dance champion empowers youth (1264 hits)Community and CultureAfrican Dance Champion Stanley Mareka has been chosen as the March winner of the Windhoek Lager Ambassador initiative. Stanley is Namibia’s own...SKW youth tournament gets bigger (5246 hits)SportA record 60 teams and 1000 players will be in action this weekend at the annual SKW Youth Tournament sponsored by the Retirement Fund Solution. A...
- Latest Articles
- HeadlinesThe Economist Businesswomen Projects officially launched the Namibian Businesswoman of the Year Award 2015 this week announcing that nominations are...Xaris MD hits back at allegations (6 hits)HeadlinesSince the announcement that energy company, Xaris won the tender for the construction of a 250mW power plant in the Erongo Region, Nampower and in...Editors DeskThe Chamber of Mines 2015 Mining Expo and Conference took place this week at the Safari Hotel conference centre in Windhoek. The expo attracted just...Weather 22 May 2015 (4 hits)WeatherWhat Happened The synoptic map was dominated this week by an array of high pressure cells covering the southern Indian Ocean, the ocean south of...Xaris to meet deadline (20 hits)Mining & EnergyThe Xaris power plant which is curently in the planning phase will meet its June 2016 deadline according to Xaris Managing Director Hennis Steyn who...