- Friday, 04 November 2011 12:54
- Published Date
- John Olszewski
- Hits: 4590
This past week an unusual synoptic pattern has held sway across the southern hemisphere. A major anticyclone with core pressures well above 1030hPa straddled the Date Line (180o) in the south Pacific while on our side, a complex low pressure pattern covered most of southern Africa and the southern oceans.
Both high and low pressure systems have been static for this period. Static in position but active within themselves: anticyclonic strength ensured a consistent flow to maintain La Nina’s, positive oscillation, and dominance of global weather.
The complexities of the vortex areas see one core deepen, drift somewhat eastward while in the cold, unstable polar air behind it a secondary vortex quickly forms, weakening the older core, then the same cycle is repeated. The effect of this pattern maintained a zonal flow throughout the troposphere (surface to 40000 feet) above southern Africa.
The unusual feature is that these differing systems have held their geographical placing while whatever else may be on the weather map either by-passes or collapses while these two major systems remain.
The other unusual feature is the global situation on either side of globe: the high and the low. Again, the effect saw a limited, if not absent, eastern Atlantic anticyclone, and similarly an absence of the western Indian Ocean anticyclone.
This departure from the norm means there is no lower level moisture input from the Indian Ocean, so with no push from the east, the heat-low pressure belt across southern Africa remains static ensuring that over Namibia there has been an advection of bone dry southerly air. This limits daytime temperatures but with no anticyclonic thrust it cannot undercut the heat-low. Without convergence, there is no cumulus cloud and no rain!
The thin layer of cloud visible has too little moisture but its presence offers hope for improvement as November wears on.
The vortex pattern persists. The weak South Atlantic anticyclone remains limited throughout the period and because there is little ability to ridge round the continent, any development of a cell away to the east is restricted. Any prospect of late Spring showers depends on the persistent heat-low generating an upward convective extension to tap the adjacent moister air mass gathering above much of Zambia, linking with the equally adjacent Congo air mass then to advect this combination into our Kavango area or further west.
Current outlooks show a mixed set of patterns across the northern mid-subcontinent. Much of the data available is based on satellite images showing cloud coverage and direction of movement. Other observational sources in that area are, largely, non-existent. This data provides the grist from which computer models are built. Otherwise, it is up to a weather observer to assess what is seen to be present and offer an outlook regarding what the current situation will be able to evolve. The heat factor is seen to be increasing and its effects, as outlined earlier, offer a prospect of showers into the new week. n the south west, temperatures will be considerably cooler with a fresh southwesterly wind as a result of the high ridging in from the south Atlantic.
- Articles In This Category
- 13 December 2013 (516 hits)WeatherWhat happened? At this time of year the positive weather features may be present, but do not always receive support throughout the air to bring these...WeatherWhat happened? That the changing climate brings a range of varying aspects clustered under the same roof becomes more and more obvious, not only...WeatherWhat happened? This week was marked by a cut-off low over the Orange River in the south and a broad trough of tropical moisture moving in from Angola...WeatherWhat happened? We have seen an interesting hiatus in the development of weather patterns variously around the world as year 2011 progressed. Seasons...05 September 2014 (253 hits)WeatherWhat Happened? As the southern hemisphere moves into the spring season, not only do the sunshine hours increase, the sun’s position itself changes...Weather 19 December 2014 (281 hits)WeatherWhat’s Happened The battle between north and south continues. The week began with the South Atlantic high pressure cell in its somewhat...10 october 2014 (254 hits)WeatherWhat Happened? High pressure control on the surface in the southern half, low pressure over the northern half but a continuing overall high pressure...WeatherWhat happened? Weather condition across the region were rather static for most of the week. A well-developed and active equatorial low pressure core...Weather 06 February 2015 (218 hits)WeatherWhat Happened The broad swath of warmer water between South America and Southern Africa warrants attention. In the upper 300 metres of the Atlantic...WeatherWhat happened? The probability of a cold intrusion was fully met as the flow behind a cold front swept, perhaps obliquely, across much of Namibia....
- Related Articles
- WeatherWhat happened? At an unusual time of the year we have seen, one way or the other, a departure from synoptic patterns prevalent across the southern...WeatherWhat happened? That the world’s weather patterns are at odds with themselves seems to be a common consensus. Primarily the cause is to be...WeatherWhat happened? We have seen an interesting hiatus in the development of weather patterns variously around the world as year 2011 progressed. Seasons...WeatherWhat happened? Summer begins with December. From one aspect at least, a start is made to summer as pressure patterns move toward a summery stance....WeatherWhat happened? This week was marked by a cut-off low over the Orange River in the south and a broad trough of tropical moisture moving in from Angola...
- Latest Articles
- Special FocusCategory: Business Owner Name: Isabella !Huri-He //Hauses Position: Owner, CEO, Executive Director and Chairman Company, institution or business...Florencia Kavendjii of Jireh Hair Studio (42 hits)Special FocusCategory: Business Owner Name: Florencia Kavendjii Position: Owner and Manager Company, institution or business Jireh Hair Studio Jireh Real EstateSpecial FocusCategory: Business Owner Name: Yvonne le Roux Position Owner and Managing Member Company, institution or business Elite Employment Consultancy CCAdda Auala of Ada’s Creation (86 hits)Special FocusCategory: Business Owner Name: Adda Auala Position: Owner Company, institution or business Ada’s Creation CCSpecial FocusCategory: Business Owner Name: Carol-Jean Rechter Position: Co-owner Managing Director Company, institution or business Joe’s Beerhouse