- Special Focus
- Friday, 04 November 2011 12:35
- Published Date
- Hits: 6718
New car sales in the Southern African Customs Union (SACU) during October was at 36 826 units, according to the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers in South Africa (NAAMSA).
This shows an improvement of 6076 new cars or an increase of 19.8% compared to the 30,750 new cars sold during October 2010.
According to NAAMSA the continued strength of the new car market in October, was due to a number of factors including improvement in the financial position of consumers on the back of relatively low interest rates, improvement of vehicle affordability in real terms and the positive influence of aggressive marketing and sales incentive programmes during the month.
In addition, consumers would have been encouraged to bring forward planned purchases in light of expectations of future price increases as a result of recent Rand depreciation.
Sales of industry new light commercial vehicles, bakkies and minibuses had recorded a creditable performance and at 12 994 units for October, reflected an increase of 1 754 units or a gain of 15.6% compared to the 11 240 units sold in the corresponding month last year. For the first 10 months of 2011, new light commercial vehicle sales were ahead by 11.4% compared to the corresponding period last year.
Sales of vehicles in the medium and heavy truck segments of the industry at 829 units and 1 689 units, respectively, had recorded an increase of 199 units or 31.6%, in the case of medium commercial vehicles, and a gain of 280 units or 19.9%, in the case of heavy trucks and buses, compared to the corresponding month last year. Total year to date sales of medium, heavy commercials and buses remained 24.4% ahead of the corresponding ten months of last year.
- Articles In This Category
- Florencia Kavendjii of Jireh Hair Studio (350 hits)Special FocusCategory: Business Owner Name: Florencia Kavendjii Position: Owner and Manager Company, institution or business Jireh Hair Studio Jireh Real EstateSpecial FocusWindhoek, 6 February 2013: Jaguar Windhoek, a division of Novel Motor Company, has been awarded the Top Service Dealer of the Year 2012 by Jaguar...National Pension Fund - not yet! (630 hits)Special FocusConsultations with relevant stakeholders on the long overdue implementation of the National Pension Fund are ongoing, the Social Security Commission...Service levy proposed on telecomms (1118 hits)Special FocusThe Communications Regulatory Authority of Namibia (CRAN) this week hosted a public hearing with its telecommunication stakeholders at the Windhoek...Better city roads (439 hits)Special FocusCommuters from Katutura’s northern suburbs up to Goreangab, will have to find an alternative route into the city once the main artery, Monte...SUV with an attitude (789 hits)Special FocusThe Range Rover Evoque which has won more than 130 awards globally, truly is remarkable vehicle. Its high-level appeal was recently confirmed in a...Liaison in Logistics (830 hits)Special FocusThe Namibian German Centre for Logistics (NGCL) has appointed Elizabeth Nashidengo as Logistics Officer with the Polytechnic. Miss Nashidengo...Special FocusAccording to the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of South Africa (NAAMSA) in their recently released annual sales overview, new...Explore Zambia (1732 hits)Special FocusHome to half of the Victoria Falls, the wild Zambezi River, breath taking lakes and abundant wildlife, Zambia offers a truly authentic African...Micro lenders threatened with closure (1188 hits)Special FocusThe financial services industry regulator, Namfisa, has threatened micro lending institutions with closure for violating regulations barring them...
- Related Articles
- Impressive sailing but no new record (12740 hits)SportThe Luderitz Speed Challenge, currently underway on a new channel to break the world sail record of 103km/h (55.65 kts) has seen some impressive...New fascinating history stories as X-mas special (5897 hits)Community and CultureFarmers armed with rockets and rainmaker aircraft, a suicidal groom in the desert, German South West Africa holds its breath at the investigation...New fraud surfaces (2395 hits)MarketsFirst National Bank (FNB) has issued a warning about a new fraud that seems to be doing the rounds in Namibia. Ingrid Veueza Katjiukua, forensic...Momentum launches new brand (2577 hits)MarketsMomentum Asset Management Namibia and Momentum Investments have formally launched a newly refreshed brand. Speaking at the launch of the new brand ,...New mixed talent reality show (1058 hits)Community and CultureA new local talent reality show wants to find and promote Namibia’s best performers and entertainers across a range of disciplines. The show...
- Latest Articles
- Thank you for paying back your loans on time (1477 hits)HeadlinesThe Good Business and Innovation Awards of the Development Bank of Namibia have become the benchmark for seed capital performance.HeadlinesThe National Commission on Research, Science and Technology announced this week that for the first time since Namibia’s Independence, a substantial...MVA Emergency Response Unit now operational (1471 hits)HeadlinesThe Motor Vehicle Accident Fund of Namibia is now able to respond to emergencies since it has received the green light from the Ministry of Health...Editors DeskThe importance of the Motor Vehicle Accident Fund establishing and operating its own dedicated Emergency Response Unit, can not be overemphasised....Weather 09 October 2015 (68 hits)WeatherWhat Happened The main feature of this week’s synoptic progression is the absence of both the South Atlantic and the southern Indian high pressure...